[RTTY] N1MM Logger Tuning Difficulties

To: "a RTTY COL eList" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] N1MM Logger Tuning Difficulties
From: "Thomas Giella KN4LF" <flcyclone@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2006 11:20:39 -0400
Tom W7WHY Said:
.....Once again N1MM performed flawlessly.  Rick has really got the digital end
of this program perculating perfectly.  I ran rig control, 2 bandmaps,
packet, and just about every window available and nary a hiccup.  Sure takes
the drudgery out of RTTY contesting.....

Thomas KN4LF Says:

Hope this isn't off topic. I downloaded and set up the N1MM Logger for the EA
WW but ran into tuning difficulties, so abandoned the software after two hours
of operation. It's kind of lengthy for me to explain but this is what I
experienced with N1MM.

What I'm used to with MixW is being able to move the RTTY mark and space lines
around on the waterfall but with the MMTTY engine in N1MM you have to bring the
signal on the waterfall to the center "fixed" mark and space lines, backwards
from MixW. I just could not seem to do that accurately as I would over or
undershoot the signal and the AFC would not auto center fast enough or at all
in S&P mode and I'd miss the contact.

I'm also used to seeing the frequency readout right on the waterfall via my
CI-V CAT interface between rig and computer and QSY'ing up or down the
waterfall with my mouse center wheel. The MMTTY engine does not have those
options that I can find and I would lose track of where I was and which way I
was headed and waste time. Also the 3 kc resolution in the MMTTY engine
waterfall window is to narrow for my bad close in eyesight, even when I
stretched it out horizontally with the mouse cursor. The 3 kc wide MixW
waterfall is very large in comparison and I don't need glasses to use it.

Everything was okay when I was in "Running" mode but I like to S&P allot and
that's where I ran into problems. I tried clicking on the VFO A & B windows
where the callsign's show up on the band map for my S&P'ing but the resolution
was to poor with all the stations on the band.

Is the issue with me personally as what I'm used too or am I overlooking
something in N1MM/MMTTY engine that would assist me in tuning around in S&P
mode.

Also is anyone using the MMVARI engine with N1MM logger? I couldn't seem to get
PTT set up using that.

--... ...--,
Thomas F. Giella, KN4LF
Lakeland, FL, USA