Re: [RTTY] 250 hz filter on RTTY

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] 250 hz filter on RTTY
From: "Robert Chudek - K0RC" <k0rc@citlink.net>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 14:19:02 -0500
Rick,

I agree with Phil regarding the 250 Hz filter. You will definitely need this
selectivity on 20m when a full-fledged contest is running! In the past I would
turn this narrow filter on occasionally, only when I needed it. During the 2006
ARRL RTTY I don't think I ever turned it off! RTTY contesting really seems to
have caught on recently!

Regarding the external audio filters, this depends on your RTTY demodulator.
Using a KAM, AEA, or MFJ (hardware) TNC, an external unit might help. But if
you're using MMTTY, the filters available in that product do an excellent job.
You can customize them to whatever bandwidth you desire. And to top it off, you
can preview the audio bandwidth characteristics on a graph.

The downside to the MMTTY internal audio filters is YOU do not benefit from
their steep skirts. With your speaker connected to the transceiver audio
output, you will continue to hear the normal rubbish on a crowded band. I
suppose you could drive your speakers from the soundcard output, but I haven't
tried that so I don't know if that would work or not.

73 de Bob - K0RC

* * * * * * ORIGINAL MESSAGE FOLLOWS * * * * * *

Message: 7