Re: [RTTY] The SO1R/SO2R debate

To: ve3iay@storm.ca
Subject: Re: [RTTY] The SO1R/SO2R debate
From: Michael Keane K1MK <k1mk@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 09:08:14 -0400
This debate seems to be getting longer and more strident each time;
must be the lack of sunspots. :-)

If what's desired is information from self-reporting, 3830 already
provides that. Self-declared SO2R is in the individual 3830 score
reports, it's just one of the details that's not carried over to the
summary reports.

If one seeks more objective data, then the log checkers can readily
compute the number of band changes for each log and report those in
the results article. Along with a Top Ten "One Radio" listing and a
list of the Top Ten number of band changes. That's exactly what N6TR
already does for the CW Sprint results.

This is an addition that provides useful information, is within the
discretion of the author of the results article, and doesn't require
rules changes or additional resources to produce more plaques and
more certificates.

Now, if this is about having more plaques and more certificates awarded...

73,
Mike K1MK

At 01:05 AM 7/24/06, ve3iay@storm.ca wrote:
>I think this discussion is getting overheated. Adding or not adding another
>category will not mean the end of contesting as we know it. People
>who take the
>other side of the argument are not ogres or demons, nor are they igoramuses,
>they are just people with another point of view.
>
>IMHO, listening on another band while your radio is transmitting is a great
>idea, and no-one is being penalized, stigmatized, or whatever for using this
>technique in the open single-operator class; nor should they be. But I also
>think that the distinction based on whether a station is using this
>multiplexing technique or not is pretty significant, perhaps up there with
>using HP vs. using LP, and the NAQP and other contest results would be more
>meaningful and potentially useful to me if I could see which stations were
>using this method and which ones were not. The simplest way to do this is to
>create another category, but it's not the only way - lumping everyone in the
>same category while reporting the information in an added column
>would achieve
>pretty much the same result for me.
>
>I can get more fun out of looking at the results if I know which
>other stations
>are most comparable to mine. Give me the information so I can see how I am
>doing relative to my peers, and also some real data on how much of an
>improvement I could hope to achieve by doing whatever it takes to adopt this
>technique. The end result is that I will get more fun out of contesting and
>participate more - isn't that what everyone wants?
>
>73,
>Rich VE3IAY

Michael Keane K1MK
k1mk@alum.mit.edu