Re: [RTTY] RTTY Hall of Shame

To: k0bx@arrl.net
Subject: Re: [RTTY] RTTY Hall of Shame
From: Doug Faunt N6TQS +1-510-655-8604 <faunt@panix.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 16:19:32 -0400 (EDT)
   Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 12:50:33 -0700 (PDT)
   From: "k0bx@arrl.net" <k0bx@arrl.net>

   It seems like after every contests we have the same
   complaints.

   Last time it was the QRP'er and their freq.  Lets not
   forget the guy that was passing traffic on 7.055.

   Now next month is the CQWWPHONE contest.  If it is
   like last year, it will wipe out all of the 40 meter
   CW portion of the band with the DX stations listen up
   to the US stations.

   In November, it is the CQWWCW contest.  There won't be
   a rtty freq that cw won't be on.

   So the problem is contests!

No, the problem is whiners.

And, just to make it clear, that's NOT directed at you.

And I'll post my "how not to work a contest" story:
So, I have an almost totally new setup, for various reasons, and
wasn't real committed to being in this contest, either, but wanted to
try stuff out.  I'd been working on my rotator system, and am still
puzzled as to why it doesn't work as advertised for me, but had spent too
much time checking it out.

So I get on, work a few stations on 40M (20M is impossible, 40 not
much better) and then honor other committments.  Next day, the station
power supply is dead (MFJ 45A PS, has been working for several years).
So I dig around (one PS is on the bench being modified, another is on
loan, and I gave another away in VU4) and find an adequate Astron, wire it
up, work a few on 20M, do other things, get back on 40M and NOW I have
a system that locks up. This should be a better PS and the wiring is
simpler, but....  Apologies to VR2BG.

Feh.

73, doug