Re: [RTTY] RTTY Screwed by FCC?

To: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <w4tv@subich.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] RTTY Screwed by FCC?
From: Bill Coleman <aa4lr@arrl.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2006 20:03:05 -0400
On Oct 13, 2006, at 1:07 AM, Joe Subich, W4TV wrote:

> I think it is time for digital operators to petition for
> reconsideration in part ... particularly regarding the loss
> of 3600 - 3630 and 7075 - 7100.  Digital modes operation is
> growing faster than any other mode yet Digital just lost 50%
> of the available spectrum on 80 and 40 meters!

There's other evidence of some carelessness here, too. 97.221 defines
segments where automatically controlled digital stations may operate.
The R & O did not amend these, but the segment for 80m is defined as
3620-3635 kHz -- frequencies that would be illegal for Digital
communications after the R & O goes into effect.

Frankly, I'm more inclined that the FCC just make all the bands like
160m -- where every mode is legal everywhere. Of course, there would
probably be a handful of hams that would misuse such privileges and
make things miserable for us all....

             -- Wilbur Wright, 1901