Re: [RTTY] ZL8R demo on You Tube

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] ZL8R demo on You Tube
From: Doug Faunt N6TQS +1-510-655-8604 <faunt@panix.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 19:08:32 -0400 (EDT)
There's probably some reality to their statement, too.
Many DXpeditions rate RTTY with 6 meters and EME, and those groups DO
provide support out of proportion to the number of QSO's made, as far
as I can tell.  There are far fewer RTTY Q's made than CW or 'phone,
and so the direct income from those Q's is less, as an absolute
number, since we probably don't provide a disproportionate amount of
money per Q (or perhaps per time spent operating the mode (RTTY rate
is, unfortunately, lower than 'phone or CW, in most cases)).

It'd be interesting to see how RTTY compares with 160M for donations
per QSO, though.

I, personally, support DXpeditions through significant donations to
various DX foundations.

73, doug

   From: "Shelby Summerville" <k4ww@arrl.net>
   Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 18:37:28 -0400

   Jim Reisert AD1C wrote: "In this video, you'll hear comments about how RTTY
   operators don't contribute financially.  If you worked them on RTTY, please
   send a "tip" with your QSL card."

   I hate to be "stereotyped", but I am a RTTY operator, and I do contribute
   financially. IMHO, there should be less time worrying about contributions
   from RTTY operators, and more time spent actually working RTTY operators?
   RTTY is no longer a "novelty" mode, as is confirmed by the annual increase
   of submitted logs,  in "major" RTTY contests, and should not be treated as
   such?

   C'Ya, Shelby - K4WW