Re: [RTTY] hyphen or no hyphen

To: RTTY Reflector <RTTY@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] hyphen or no hyphen
From: Kok Chen <chen@mac.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 12:37:31 -0800
Scott Nichols wrote:
> START OF MACRO...I prefer CR or ENTER (one line advance) to start
> the macro
> on a fresh line, not CRLF, which advances it 2 lines...Anything
> more than 1
> line is not needed

If some software implements Baudot CR/LF as two newlines, then that
bug should be fixed.

The Baudot CR (carriage return - octal 10) should simply return the
type carriage to the beginning of the current line.  It should not
cause a newline to occur.  If you send CR without a LF to someone who
is decoding with a TU into a mechanical teletypewriter, you will be
overprinting the line that you had previously transmitted to him.

LF (line feed - octal 02) is the Baudot code that rotates the
teletypewriter platen to the next line.

Strictly speaking, a LF without a CR moves the type head to the
current horizontal location of the next line, but you seldom see that
property implemented in "glass teletypes."

CR/LF has always been the convention used to move to the beginning of
the next line.

The reason CR/LF is the convention for a newline and not LF/CR is to
allow the mechanical carriage an extra 1/6 of a second to settle when
it is suddenly jerked from printing on the right side to printing on
the left side.

When I was using the Model 33 (7 level teletypewriter in the computer
world) back in the 60s, I used to put out CR/CR/LF when I needed a
newline since the Model 33 would often print an unstable first
character otherwise.  That extra CR causes no extra movement and
serves only to delay the stream.

73
Chen, W7AY