Re: [RTTY] Starting Out

To: Stuart Spatz <slspatz@cox.net>, rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Starting Out
From: Jim Reisert AD1C <jjreisert@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 11:56:25 -0800 (PST)
--- Stuart Spatz <slspatz@cox.net> wrote:

> I have an ICOM 756PRO and would like to hook it up to a laptop that has only
> USB jacks. I am planning to use Writelog or MMTTY.
>
> I would like to know the best possible way to do the interface, either by
> something like Rigblaster or by a simple circuit.

Hi Stu,

There's a difference between "best possible" and "easiest possible". Check out
this design:

    http://www.w5bbr.com/pttfsk.html

This is what I used for several years when I get started on RTTY in 1999 (also
with an IC756 Pro).  I find FSK easier than AFSK, since you don't have to worry
about overdriving, or finding the frequency of a spotted DX station.

If you want easy, get a microHAM microKeyer (www.microham.com), it comes with
all the interface hardware, cables, etc.  I love mine.  You can do all the
other modes like PSK-31, etc. with this box too.

Looking forward to working you on RTTY!

73 - Jim AD1C

USA +978-251-9933, <jjreisert@alum.mit.edu>, http://www.ad1c.us