Re: [RTTY] N8S

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] N8S
From: Barry <w2up@mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 13:37:29 -0400
>>  seem to make some dumb choices - 10m and 12m RTTY?  Come on - surely
>> there is a better use for that station.
>>

> ------------ REPLY FOLLOWS ------------
>
> Agreed. Here is one case where it would be good to publish a schedule
> of times in advance with a fairly short period of operation. No use
> wasting precious hours calling CQ even if the band is open but nobody
> is there.
>
> The only nit I have to pick with the operation at all is that they had
> a grossly inexperienced op on 30 meter RTTY last night for a while,
> but they finally corrected that and then things went well.
>
> The middle of a DXPedition is no place to train RTTY ops. :-)
>
> Bill W6WRT

Bill,
An OF like you, :) ,should remember the days of tuning and finding
needed DX.  How spoiled we have become expecting to connect to the
Cluster and instantly work a DXped on every band and mode we need.  A
little experience and know-how can go a long way.  I even put up a 30m
antenna, for the first time, a few weeks ago, in preparation for BS7H,
which I may not hear anywhere else.  (time will tell...)

Anyone who hasn't worked N8S yet on RTTY hasn't tried very hard.  I was
away in CO on a ski trip and didn't get home until Saturday night.  By
Tuesday, I had them on 160-17m, including 3 bands RTTY.  And I'm in the
northeast - not one of those privileged locations, like FL, TX or CA,
where you see reports of "booming in" on every band, including 10 and
12m, where I don't even hear a whisper of a signal.  To me, it seems
like an excellent Dxpedition with excellent ops, who know their
propagation.  Also, they don't seem to be playing favorites at all -
unlike the last Swains group who made about 10 RTTY QSOs for friends, by
invitation only.

73,
Barry