Re: [RTTY] 6 Meter RTTY

To: Bill Turner <dezrat@copper.net>, rtty@contesting.com,<vhf@w6yx.stanford.edu>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] 6 Meter RTTY
From: "Mark, K5AM" <k5am@zianet.com>
Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2007 15:15:24 +0000
At 14:54 2007-06-03, Bill Turner wrote:
>Were I to choose, I think I would alternate between 50.3 and 50.62
>until I found out which got the most results.

The segment

RTTY   50.180 to 50.185

is the reasonable choice.

I have been on 6 meter RTTY since 1964. See QST,
February 1965, p.77, for Sam Harris's report on early
6 meter RTTY meteor scatter work.

Ham tradition is for RTTY at 80 kHz above the
low end. This is not legal on 6M, so 50.180
is the reasonable choice. PSK operation near 50.290
is often at low-power, with wide-bandwidth
reception of many low-bandwidth
signals in a 3 kHz wide receiver. PSK is not
compatible with high-power narrow-bandwidth RTTY.
I would not want to interfere with these new
digital modes. Thus 50.180 is a good
place for plain RTTY; it uses 170 Hz
shift and results in much less band usage than
3000 Hz wide SSB. RTTY near 50.180 will
cause no serious interference to SSB operations.

Thus the segment

RTTY   50.180 to 50.185

is the reasonable choice.

73,

Mark, K5AM

-----
Mark Mandelkern
Las Cruces, New Mexico, USA      DM62ni
k5am@zianet.com
First callsign: W9ECV, Milwaukee, 1948.
10 band DXCC confirmed. 137 countries on 6 meters.
Homebrew station: www.zianet.com/k5am/ncj
---