Re: [RTTY] RTTY with an Icom radio

To: RTTY Group <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] RTTY with an Icom radio
From: Bill Turner <dezrat@copper.net>
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2007 07:14:50 -0700
ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

On Thu, 07 Jun 2007 13:10:34 +0100, Jim Steel - M0ZAK
<m0zak@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>Hi guys,
>       I'm considering the purchase of an Ic765... how do they perform on
>RTTY / digimodes, any radio can afsk but will it fsk and are they really as
>bombproof as the reviews on eHam suggest? Currently have an FT990 which I
>would reluctantly get rid of to accommodate the Icom.
>
>       Thoughts, experiences and opinions please...good, bad or ugly.
>
>Jim
>M0ZAK

------------ REPLY FOLLOWS ------------

You didn't say which model of IC-765 you are considering. If it is a
new one, it would be the Pro3, which I have. I've never used the
previous versions so I can't comment on them.

For RTTY I can find no fault with the Pro3. It is one of very few rigs
designed with RTTY in mind and not with RTTY as an afterthought. It
has a "RTTY filter" mode which adds an FM-like limiter function and
can help greatly under some reception conditions where QRM and QRN are
heavy. This filter system is also used in the IC-746Pro and I believe
in the top end model too.

It has a purely digital IF system so there are no expensive crystal
filters to buy.

Also, you will love the spectrum display, especially for contesting. I
have mine set to show a 25 kHz bandwidth and it is great for finding
signals in a band which is apparently dead. For example, I can go
quickly to ten meters and know in a few seconds if anyone is on.

The Pro3 is a bit expensive if you buy one new, but it is likely the
last radio you will ever need. You won't be disappointed.

Bill W6WRT