Re: [RTTY] Survey

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Survey
From: Graham Ridgeway <m5aav@btinternet.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 18:44:40 +0000
I'm going to come back on this one.

So far, it seems that I am the only person who does not use
speaker/phones or have any audio running when on RTTY. [Oh what it is
to be different!]

I appreciate that I am not in the same league as many, but if I cannot
see traces on the waterfall, I cannot work a station, and if I see no
trace I cannot hear them either. OK, my narrowest filter is 850hz, and
I do far more S&P than running so am always tuning the rig [TS530S]
Traces 'wander' into the passband  with luck i'll work them, and then
'wander' out.

I have had audio running in the past, but it's just noise pollution to
me [and the XYL] And I don't think I'm missing anybody. [Surely you
have to line up the traces to find out who they are and whether you've
worked them already <smile> ]

Can anyone really provide a good reason [apart from perhaps hearing a
CW signal in the passband] why there is a need to listen to the
cacophony.

Graham who  is quite happy listening to music while operating [the joy
of two soundcards]

73 Graham M5AAV
Please do not forget the TARA sponsored contests...
 See ... http://www.n2ty.org/seasons/tara_seasons.html