Re: [RTTY] RTTY Digest, Vol 57, Issue 23

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] RTTY Digest, Vol 57, Issue 23
From: Bill Turner <dezrat@copper.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2007 07:23:16 -0700
ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 23:31:15 -0400, billknn@aol.com wrote:

>It's not for me to say what's?right or wrong, or what ought to be or ought not
>be - as I said, I don't contest and don't have a dog in this race. I do have a
>question, though. If it's no big deal, if it really isn't that big an
>advantage, if if doesn't really matter, etc., then why are the SO2R types so
>vocal, emotional and vehemently opposed to competing in their own seperate
>class? I don't get it. It kind of reminds me of pistol shooters in one age
>bracket wanting to be included in the old timers age bracket and the bragging
>that they beat the old timers and won! Or perhaps being a marathon runner and
>bragging because you beat the seniors and guys in wheel chairs. Actually, a
>lot of contesting seems that way to me, but that's the beauty of ham radio,
>there's something for everyone and if you don't like one aspect of it, you can
>always change to left-handed straight-key?CW moonbounce.

------------ REPLY FOLLOWS ------------

You have hit the nail on the head, Bill. Contests are often won or
lost by a one or two percent difference in the score. Since two-radio
operation gives a far greater advantage than that, if you are going to
win - or even be competitive - under the present rules, you must go to
two-radio operation. I would prefer that people have a choice, much
like the choice to go to HP vs LP vs QRP, or assisted vs unassisted,
or any of the other categories which at one time did not exist but are
now widely accepted. Contesting, like any sport is most fun when it is
competitive.

Bill W6WRT