[RTTY] RITTY vs. MMTTY

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] RITTY vs. MMTTY
From: "Ed Muns" <w0yk@msn.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2007 11:00:55 -0700
At HC8N last weekend W6OTC and I did some minimal subjective comparison of
RITTY and MMTTY simultaneously on the same signal.  Most of the time, as
expected, both decoders worked fine.  On rare occasions, one would decode
while the other didn't.  In our limited evaluation (we were "distracted"
working the contest and not focused on decoder comparisons), it seemed that
RITTY would decode signals buried in noise when MMTTY failed.  OTOH, MMTTY
decoded some instances where RITTY did not and those seemed to be large
signal situations.  All very subjective and anecdotal, but interesting for
us to not see a clear overall advantage between the two decoders.  Probably
the biggest take away is re-confirmation of the value of running multiple
parallel decoders to get that last bit of reliable decoding across thousands
of contacts.

73,
Ed - W0YK