[RTTY] Re the two contests

To: "RTTY" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] Re the two contests
From: "Phil Cooper" <pcooper@guernsey.net>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2007 22:27:47 +0100
Bill (N5RR)

Thanks for the response, it is appreciated.

I must have missed the request/suggestions for dates, but that is not really
an issue.

To answer your points.............
1.      Using most current contest logging software, it is not so easy to simply
"add" fields to the exchange.

I can see how it could be fairly easy to SEND the additional info, but it
isn't quite as easy to LOG it!
Programs such as Writelog - and possibly N1MM too - only have specific
fields for a specific contest. OK, one could use the "notes" field, but that
is messy, and prone to error.

2.      RTTY contesters are a breed apart, (in my opinion), and most will
participate in most RTTY contests to some degree or other. Using the WA7BNM
calendar is mistaken, as many of us follow the RTTY contest calendar
provided by Don AA5AU.
Also, many RTTY ops also use CW, and participate to some degree in CW
contests.

3.      Maybe I wasn'to too clear in my expression. I meant that I agree that
RTTY ops probably are more likely to be users of LoTW, BUT, as a percentage
of contesters, this may well be lower.

4.      No real comment, or argument, as I can see that it will have been
wanted,
and I think I was probably included in the bunch that made some comment
about the lack of RTTY at the time.

I will TRY and see if there is some way to participate in both, but unless
someone comes up with an easy way to log BOTH required exchanges, using the
major contesting softwares, then it may be hard work to accomplish.

Bill, this wasn't personal, just some thoughts from me. Personally, I think
that the LoTW contest could easily be one using an existing contest, as that
would mean much less work from you.

Very best 73

Phil GU0SUP