Re: [RTTY] Fw: [illinoisdigitalham] Re:We Need to Expand HF AutoSubBands

To: "'George Henry'" <ka3hsw@earthlink.net>, <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Fw: [illinoisdigitalham] Re:We Need to Expand HF AutoSubBands Now
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <w4tv@subich.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2007 01:23:17 -0400
> > Until such time as all unattended, automatic protocols are
> > "smart" enough to recognize that a frequency is in use and
> > delay transmission until the frequency is clear for a reasonable
> > length of time, they have no business occupying ANY amateur
> > spectrum, let alone asking for MORE.

Amen!  This standard should be applied to ANY unattended station,
including those "semi-automatic" robots that supposedly respond
only to calls from attended stations.

A "listen before transmit" protocol should lockout transmission if
any coherent (e.g., non-noise) signal is detected in a "window" at
at least +/- 1 KHz from the center of transmitted signal (or twice
the maximum acceptable bandwidth for the frequency in use if/when
"regulation by bandwidth" is adopted).  The software should be
required to look for all documented digital modes used in amateur
service and not just its "own mode."

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV