[RTTY] GU0SUP JARTS

To: "RTTY" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] GU0SUP JARTS
From: "Phil Cooper" <pcooper@guernsey.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 10:18:13 +0100
Good morning one and all,

What an interesting weekend! Propagation started very poor, and I am glad I
didn't stay up for the start. When I got up early on Saturday morning, 40
and 80 were as dead as could be. 20 was OK, and 15 had some stations, but
not enough to make it worth changing bands.
It did improve during the course of the day, but on Saturday evening, the
low bands were seriously noisy, and no fun at all. Added to that was the
rugby World Cup final, (well done to South Africa!) so I didn't do much.
Sunday was a little better, but there was severe QSB at times, plus a lot of
QRN/QRM, which made for a lot of repeats.

I was surprised to make as many contacts as I did, and was pleased to work
all 10 W call areas, although I think my one and only W6 was actually in
W4-land, but wasn't signing as such.

Interesting that a few YL's were sending their age instead of 00! Oldest was
82, and the youngest was 16. It seemed to me (without doing an in-depth
analysys of my log!) that the vast majority of ops were in their 50's.

Highlights for me: Working VA7ST and VE6YR, plus W7QQQ, W7WW and W7DPW,
despite the poor conditions, plus working so many new calls!

Lowlights were: Getting called by some who should know better during an
exchange, which then meant repeats. Once I can understand, but there were a
few who insisted on calling each and every time I asked for a repeat from
the station I was trying to work.
I also got a little annoyed by a few of the big-guns, who came and worked
me, then sat so close I couldn't hear those trying to call me. This seemed
to happen each time I was spotted, and got to be a little frustrating. And
then there were those who were sending serial numbers instead of their age!
I can understand a few who sent me 001, as they clearly didn't know what was
going on, but none of them would correct their report, so this time, I did
not log them. Then there were those who were sending serials up in the 10's
and 20's! How did they get that far without realising?
So many not reading the rules!

Here is what I am claiming:
Single op, low power:

         QSOs   Points  DX:     Call Areas
80m:    44      88      18      0
40m:    94      195     28      2
20m:    326     759     48      20
15m:    106     257     31      9
10m:    5       13      5       0
Total:  575     1312
Total multipliers:      161
Score:                  211232

Better than expected, but not as good as 2005, as I missed a lot of call
areas on 15m.

Thanks to all for the points, especially those that had to repeat the
exchange.
My log is now on LoW, but bureau cards are also welcome.

73 all

Phil GU0SUP