Re: [RTTY] ts480

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] ts480
From: "Ekki Plicht (DF4OR)" <ep@plicht.de>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 23:00:07 +0200
On Monday 29 October 2007, VE2FWW wrote:
> Anyone using the Kenwood TS480 in RTTY (FSK) in this group.
> Would appreciate comments please..

My vy subjective 2cts:

In 2005 we had the TS-480SAT with us as a backup rig for our tiny HB0 CQWW
RTTY expedition. Main rig was my IC-756Pro. A side by side comparision (A/B
switching) before the contest nearly led me to throw the three times as
expensive 756Pro down the 300m vertical incline beside the lodge...
We placed #8 worldwide in MSHP class. (#1 in HB0 :-).

Then we used the TS-480SAT last year (2006) as HB0/DL1ZBO during CQWW RTTY,
when my 756Pro was in repair at Icom. Again we ranked #8 in MS HP class
worldwide (again #1 in HB0 :-).

This year we used a 756Pro3, read on.

Without going into too much details: The TS-480 has an excellent receiver,
easily pars with the 756Pro, if not better. When equipped with narrow
filters, that is. Tests were done in CW before the contest and in RTTY during
the contest.

If it were not for the small faceplate it would be a superb rig. In fact, it
is an excellent rig with the best receiver I have ever seen in such a small
box. But for a contest the controls are just too tiny...  Don't get me wrong,
the Kenwood engineers did a good job with the overall layout, for what you
can do on such a small faceplate. It's easy to use, during DXing, in a pile
up, even in the occasional contest. Still...

This (size) and the live spectrum were the reasons why we used my brand new
756Pro3 this year again in HB0, the TS-480 again relegated to backup. No time
for A/B comparisions this year, but I am certain that the receiver
performance between those two rigs is vy close.

All in all, to me it's one of the best value (price/performance wise) HF rig
money can buy. Ok, you can spend _much_ more and get a better receiver
(IC-7800, Orion, PT-8000, K2 if properly built, K3 probably). The TS-480 is
the most underrated rig on the market, unfortunately...

My reasons not to buy a TS-480 but a 756Pro3 at nearly three times the price
were: a) the existing accessories I already had from my 756Pro, b) my love
for Icom radios, c) the unbeatable spectrum display, d) size does matter.

Next year, when budget allows, my venerable IC-706MkIIG will by replaced by a
TS-480 in my camper, I guess. My first non-Icom HF gear in 20 years or so.

73,
Ekki, DF4OR