[RTTY] USOS !) !) !) !)

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] USOS !) !) !) !)
From: "John - AI4FR" <AI4FR@ARRL.NET>
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2007 22:25:44 -0500
Hi gang,
    I have a question that I hope some one can help me with. During the TARA
contest I noticed about one person in 25 or so was having a problem with my
sent text. One fellow emailed me about it(listed below) but I have not heard
back from him.
    The problem is the !) !) !) being received during RTTY instead of my state
which is FL. Of course if you convert the !) to letters it is FL. The software
I am using is MixW2 and I have macros for the contest exchange. There are no
periods, commas or any thing else in the macro. But there is a greater then and
less then signs as required by MixW2. The macro reads as follows <TX> <CALL>
<RSTS> fl fl fl <MYCALL> <RXANDCLEAR> . I have also tried it with <TX> <CALL>
<RSTS> <QTH> <QTH> <QTH> <MYCALL> <RXANDCLEAR> and it has made no difference.

Is there a problem with the way I have it set up or is it just a simple case of
the other station not having USOS checked on their end? I do have USOS checked
on my end and was thinking about unselecting it to see if it helps. But I like
using USOS as there is a lot more synchronizing going on even if it is a tiny
fraction slower. As for asking for repeats myself, it is extremely rare that I
ever have to do so.

Thanks in advance for any help that you can send my way.

73
John / AI4FR

The email is below...

Hello John
I dont know what was wrong when decoding your exchange...
Both QSO, 40 and 20m I got    !)     as the exchange and this
decoded by a PTC-II and MMTTY on a second screen.

My reply....

It is really great to hear from you again and thank you for the heads-up on the
reception. I have done nothing different on this end and am using the same
software mixw2 as I have been for a few years now. Of course that does not mean
the problem is not on my end.
    I also noticed that about one person in 20 or 25 was having some trouble
with my signal. If you were to decode the !) !) symbols and convert them to
letters they equal FL FL which is the state that I live in.
    I am really glad that you sent me an email about this. Do you by chance
have USOS checked in your software. USOS is "Unshift on Space". If not, this
could be where the problem is at. Although I do not understand how it happens
when I am using macros for the contest with no "periods", "commas" etc in them.
This is the only thing that I can think of as a possible problem. Do you have
any ideas of what the problem is incase you did have that setting checked in
your software? I would really like to get this problem fixed. I never
officially enter the contests by turning in a log, I do enjoy giving out a few
points to the folks that do and having a problem like this is certainly not
helping me any.

Thanks again
John

AI4FR's Virtual Museum