[RTTY] LOTW

To: RTTY <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] LOTW
From: Roger Cooke <roger@g3ldi.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2007 18:30:31 +0000
Hi.

  Just a comment from an old Luddite G3!!   I don't subscribe to either
LOTW or E-QSL.  The Cluster has
taken a lot of skill from DX-ing too and has much to answer for.

   Now, before you reach for the keyboard to flame me, I run a DX
Cluster and enter contests using the
CLuster, so I am not a total freak!  However, I was licenced in 1956
and in those days we had to use
our skill of reception, scanning the bands for the DX. Heck, we even
swapped names and QTH's and
also - would you believe it - had a chat too!     DX-ing, or even
general HF operation, unless you are
friends with the other station is becoming a "599 -73" type of contact.
Neither mean very much, certainly
not the 599!

  I know I am partly to blame because I participate, but I can also
remember using a Creed 7B teleprinter
( remember those things?  They were electro-mechanical devices that
printed on paper! ;-) ) and having
long rag-chews with USA stations, VK's VE's and so on. Why does nobody
want to chat these days?
I shower regularly each day AND use a deodorant!!

LOTW??? E-QSL???  Yuk!!!  I prefer a REAL QSL card, plus the aggro in
obtaining it. I think it is more
appreciated if some effort is inserted.  By the way, I was great friends
with Geoff Watts, the guy who started
the DX News-sheet, so I suppose the Cluster is just another modern
version of that.   Well, I feel better now,
so if you have read this drivel all the way through, I hope you are
smiling!  My tongue will be taken from my
cheek and I shall resort to sending 599-73 again I suppose.

73 de Roger, G3LDI      Happy Christmas too!