[RTTY] RTTY and mother nature

To: "RTTY Contesting" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] RTTY and mother nature
From: "Dick White" <whiter26@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2007 16:37:21 -0600
I had hoped to put some time in on the RTTY contests coming up the next few
weeks. But, I am down to only my ground mounted vertical antenna. The dipole
was damaged and the 4 element beam still has almost an inch of ice on it.
The elements may never be straight again and even the main beam is sagging
on the ends. With the temp at 34 F  today, I was able to turn the beam. The
SWR is over 3:1 at this time. I was hoping the ice would melt more than it
did. I guess it is colder at 60 feet than here on the ground. I hope there
is nothing wrong with the beam other than the ice. It is no fun to lower one
this time of the year. Plus, we are expecting up to 4 inches of snow this
evening which will add to the problem. Many many trees down or damaged
around my QTH. Looks like a war zone in places.

I was looking forward to the ARRL RTTY Round Up and I sure hope the beam can
shed the ice and it works ok again. If you hear my weak signal off the
vertical, please try to work me. The vertical does not hear very good but I
listen some during the OK DX contest and maybe work a few. Yes, I always
send in my contest logs.

73 and good RTTY contesting....   Dick  KS0M

Richard C. "Dick" White
Fulton, MO. 65251  U.S.A.
whiter26@sbcglobal.net

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply.
Speak kindly. Leave the rest to GOD.

Amateur Radio Station - KS0M