Re: [RTTY] Will You Let FCC Kill PACTOR3?

To: "'Peter Laws'" <plaws@plaws.net>, "'RTTY'" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Will You Let FCC Kill PACTOR3?
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <w4tv@subich.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2007 19:47:48 -0500
> And this would be bad ... why?  Automatic == bad, IMHO, whether
> it's Pactor or RTTY or Morse and as you said, 1500 kHz is plenty
> of bandwidth.

PACTOR III has at least three other things against it beside its
excessive bandwidth.

1) it is regularly abused for automatically controlled networks by
   quasi-commercial interests.

2) it is a proprietary protocol so it cannot be monitored by
   those who choose not to spend the excessively high price
   for the proprietary modems.

3) it lacks any "channel occupied" monitoring capabilities and
   will shift to wider bandwidth modes on a whim without any
   consideration of other adjacent users.

PACTOR III should be illegal for US licensees in any case but
most of all, digital modes should be limited to 500 Hz in the
current "non-phone" allocations.  Bandwidths greater than 500
Hz are not compatible with traditional (CW, 170 Hz shift RTTY
and PSK31/63) "narrow" modes.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV