Re: [RTTY] Those who don't follow the "norm"

To: aa5au@bellsouth.net, RTTY <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Those who don't follow the "norm"
From: Claude Du Berger <duberger.miousse81@globetrotter.net>
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2008 14:07:43 -0500
Contesting is fun but contesting is serious also. Yes there a place for all,
the serious operator,
and some that needs to learn to do better. If someone is there just to work a
DX and get a
QSL it's ok too but he should at least try to standardize his way to do it.

Out of order exchange will always be there and we have to work with it.
After the last ARRL RU  I sent about 40 emails of the following text to
callsign that
sounded new to me or need to learn something. I already had some reply telling
me
"Thanks and I will pass the info to our radioclub"  but  also had  " I first
follow FCC rules
then contest rules "  and  "I know what I am doing"  but the majority were
happy to get it.
We never know what will happen sending such an email to unknow operator.

-------------------

Here are some operating tips from the very best operators.
This information has been collected from several RTTY sites
to stardardize our contest operation on the air.

1:  Message buffers should have a carriage return (ENTER)
    at the beginning and only a space at the end.

2:  Start your CQ with the contest name and end it with CQ
    ex: ANARTS DE CALL CALL CQ
    This way, a station tuning in midway of your CQ will know
    you are not calling another station, but CQ'ing. The DE
    is optional, no longer required by modern software.

3:  Use spaces to seperate your numbers, ex: 599 001 001
    There is no real reason to use hyphens. Do not use
    periods, commas, slant bars. In RTTY it is preferable
    to send the 3 digits, it's easier to click on 001 than 1.
    In normal conditions the exchange is sent twice but the
    RST only once. In poor conditions exchange may be sent
    3 times,  ex: 599 001 001 001

4:  Do not use 5NN in RTTY, use numbers, 599
    RST is sent only once and not repeated if exchange is sent again.
    Read the rules, if the RST is not required, dont sent it.

5:  Do not use abreviation like: PSE, IN, HR IN, NR, PLEASE COPY,
    RST, BK, KN, PSE, QSL?, SK etc.  Keep it short.

6:  It is important to have macros to ask for (or repeat) specific
    information instead of asking for an entire repeat or sending
    an entire repeat of an exchange. Repeating the entire exchange
    when only one piece of information is needed is a waste of time.
    Also, have ready keys for special situation, ex: SRI QRG QRL,
    SRI YOU ARE OFF OFF FREQ, SRI NO QSY, SRI NO COPY CUL, etc.

7:  If you are in RUN-CQ mode, reply with (Hiscall) exch.(Hiscall)
    If there are many callers, QRM, it is important to confirm to
    whom you have sent the exchange. ex: CALL 599 001 001 CALL
    Then, confirm with TU CALL de URCALL CQ   to continue.

8:  In S&P mode never send your exchange to the CQ'ing station
    until he has acknowledged your call and sent his exchange first!
    Dont send hiscall but only yours,  ex: DE CALL CALL
    then reply with only your exchange, ex:  TU 599 002 002
    (TU say it all, QSL, TU, 73)  Again, the DE is optional.

9:  Do not use {NAME} while in S&P mode.
    In RUN MODE, it's your choice to use it.

10: Put the word RTTY in the comment field of DX spots.

11: Be on frequency, know how and when to use AFC and NET
    or dont use it.

12: One of the best WEB Site to get info: WWW.rttycontesting.com
    It is also a good idea to be a member of the RTTY reflector
    at: http://lists.contesting.com/mailman/listinfo/rtty

Claude VE2FK
Contest Group du Quebec
ve2fk@arrl.net