Re: [RTTY] 30 meter rtty restrictions

To: "FireBrick" <w9ol@billnjudy.com>, <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] 30 meter rtty restrictions
From: "George Henry" <ka3hsw@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2008 18:49:22 -0600
Bill, here's what I would do:  e-mail the PropNet guru whose messages you
forwarded to me (thank you) and send him the following message (feel free to
copy and paste):

"Dear Sir:

Part 97.3(a)(9) defines a beacon as "An amateur station transmitting
communications for the purposes of observation of propagation and reception
or other related experimental activities."  PropNet "probes" are clearly
beacons, as defined by the FCC.

Part 97.203(d) restricts automatic beacon operation to frequencies above
28.200 MHz, and 97.221(c)(1) restricts automatic control of a digital
station to only those stations responding to interrogation by another
digital station under local or remote control.  Therefore, the automatic
transmission of PropNet "probes" on ANY HF frequency below 28.200 is clearly
illegal.

Unless these transmissions cease immediately, I will be forced to file a
formal complaint with the FCC."

And then follow up on the threat if need be.  Make a list of all  the unique
US callsigns you see in the left-hand column of the 24-hour listing on the
http://www.propnet.org website, and forward it to Rileywith your complaint.
He will probably e-mail you back asking you to fax a signed copy of your
complaint to him, and then the letters will start to go out.