[RTTY] NTP (Re: RTTY Digest, Vol 63, Issue 30

To: "RTTY Reflector" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] NTP (Re: RTTY Digest, Vol 63, Issue 30
From: "Peter Laws" <plaws@plaws.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2008 12:16:47 -0500
On Sun, Mar 23, 2008 at 12:08 PM, Charles Morrison
<cfmorris@bellsouth.net> wrote:

>  All Windows 2000 and better clients can be set for time sync without
>  installing any type of 3rd party application.  Open a dos prompt, type "net

I've been doing this stuff at work where we need really good time and
thought I'd share.

The technique above works, but w32time doesn't comply with the RFCs.
As I understand it, the daemon tries to connect as a peer instead of a
client, which many servers will reject, so you may not get time at
all.  Meinberg's daemon is, OTOH, RFC-compliant and connects correctly
(it can peer, too, if you actually do need to do that).

For 1-s resolution, setting the w32time client is probably enough (if
you point it at time.microsoft.com, which doesn't care that the client
is not RFC-compliant!), but if you are interested in *really* accurate
time (down in the ms range or us, if you have the hardware), then a
real NTP client is the way to go.

"The only sure bulwark of continuing liberty is a government
strong enough to protect the interests of the people, and
a people strong enough and well enough informed to
maintain its sovereign control over its government." - FDR