[RTTY] N4V - Viet Nam RTTY

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] N4V - Viet Nam RTTY
From: "Bob's Desktop" <wb2coy@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2008 19:14:48 -0400
Heard K4V in QSO with KI0PF and later NC5O between 15:00 and 16:00 UTC on
Sunday 4/27 on 20 meters. Was able to copy about 75% using MMTTY configured for
850Hz shift with a Mark of 1445.
Unfortunately, I was pressed for time, and my station is set up to use 170 Hz
FSK, so I was not able to try for a QSO. Did copy John's description of the
station as being an 'AN/GRC-122E Truck Mounted RTTY Van', running about 200W
into a 1/2 wave dipole. All things considered, he was putting in a respectable
signal here in upstate NY.

I've enjoyed operating RTTY since the 70's, but have never tried 850Hz shift. I
could see because of the poor band conditions, that QSB can be a real problem
with wide shift, and tuning is definately more critical.

73 to all the Vietnam Vets and their families!

Bob, WB2COY
Visit our RV Travels Websites:
2005-07 Trips:- http://home.hvc.rr.com/farrellsrv
Past Years: - http://hometown.aol.com/wb2coy