Re: [RTTY] LCR 2008 RTTY RU

To: "'Dick White'" <whiter26@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] LCR 2008 RTTY RU
From: "Ed Muns" <w0yk@msn.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 10:10:20 -0700
> I just took a look at the LCR for the 2008 ARRL RTTY RU and
> found it very interesting. I think everyone should go to the
> ARRL contest site and check out their final results. It sure
> was revealing to me. I had 10 calls that were NIL. I worked
> someone for each of those calls as I got an exchange.
> Either they did not copy my reply or someone else thought I
> was working them and sent me an exchange. I stayed with
> anyone who sent AGN? to me and my reply always had my call in
> it. I expect the poor propagation and my 60 watts were not
> the best combination. I did accomplish my goal of having some
> fun. See you in the TARA Grid Dip Saturday in the RTTY mode only.

There can be a number of causes for NILs.  The other station could have
inadvertently erased your contact from his log.  That is easy to do in
WriteLog, which I know from personal experience.  For example, if I have all
the data entered for my QSO with you but forget to hit Enter and get it in
my log, there is a chance I will simply overwrite it in the Entry line with
the next station I work.  In this case you and I had a valid contact, each
of us may have entered the exchange and call sign correctly, but if I failed
to permanently log it by hitting Enter, then I would have effectively erased
it and you get a NIL through no fault of your own.

73,
Ed - W0YK