Re: [RTTY] SARTG in 1974

To: "Vilnis YL2KF" <yl2kf@arrl.net>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] SARTG in 1974
From: Mike <k4gmh@arrl.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2008 20:53:10 -0400
Hello Vilnis,

Thanks for pulling up the memories from 1974, Vilnis.  Actually, Ed, W3EKT,
won the 1974 SARTG.  I was third.  Interesting that Ed lived 10 miles away
and helped me get on RTTY back in 1969.

Ed had a 15 and 20 meter, 3 element beams at, respectively, 40 feet and 45
feet.  We each had 4-1000 tube amp. putting out about 600 Watts (only 1000
Watts DC input maximum power was allowed in the seventies).  The machine Ed
was using was a Teletype Model 28 ASR.  My machine was a Teletype Model 19.
We both were using homemade ST-6 terminal units (TUs).  My antenna system in
1974 was a 20 - 10 meter quad, using bamboo spreaders, at 40 feet.  Forty
meter was a vertical on the roof of the house and an inverted vee for 80
meters at 40 feet.  Ed and I both were using Drake R4 and T4 separate,
respectively, receiver and transmitter.

Ed and I authored a paper in the nineties on what it was like to do RTTY
contesting in the early seventies.  One conclusion we made after review our
logs from back then was that if you made 250 QSOs you would win any of the
RTTY contests!  Which, when you think about it, was good we didn't do a
higher QSO rate as definitely didn't have computer logging.  Now, RTTY
operators can make 250 QSOs in less than three hours.

Good luck in the SARTG, Vilnis.
On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 6:08 PM, Vilnis YL2KF <yl2kf@arrl.net> wrote:

> Hello to all ,
>
> due upcoming SARTG  start looking which record to break, hi hi , and
> what I find out ....
> Please check this old SARTG contest results, Oh Mein Gott -
> K4GMH Mike !! What was setup in Your shack in 1974 ?
> Can You give a short revue abt contesting in RTTY in this time ....
> link  http://www.sartg.com/contest/ww74resu.htm
> Regarding competitors in 2008 - I know one new "enemy" - Luca/IK2NCJ
> from Cape Verde as D4C ( terrrrible good QTH, belive me), but ok, let see.
>
> GL & 73
> Vilnis/ YL2KF

Mike, K4GMH