Re: [RTTY] MMTTY Macros

To: "'RTTY Reflector'" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] MMTTY Macros
From: "Ed Muns" <w0yk@msn.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2008 09:38:57 -0700

> -----Original Message-----
> From: rtty-bounces@contesting.com
> [mailto:rtty-bounces@contesting.com] On Behalf Of Kok Chen
> Sent: Sunday, 12 October, 2008 07:36
> To: RTTY Reflector
> Subject: Re: [RTTY] MMTTY Macros

On Oct 12, 2008, at 07:36, Chen, W7AY wrote:
> On Oct 12, 2008, at 10/12    6:35 AM, Bill, W6WRT wrote:
>
> > I wonder which programs are still doing that? N1MM Logger does not
> > require the "DE" to recognize a call sign.

WriteLog has an option for IDing call signs based on 'DE' or not.  I use a
Super Check Partial database and turn off this feature, but without SCP it
would be useful.  I think the WriteLog default is for it to be enabled, so
many ops may use it unwittingly.

> If those extra two characters (and a space) slows you down
> too much, you should find a 1x2 or 2x1 callsign, Bill.  W7TI
> is a good call to choose :-).
>
> Unlike CW, with RTTY you don't care if they are short Morse
> characters, or if the last Morse element is not a dash, etc, etc.
> What the CW nuts consider "undesirable" calls is just as good
> as anything else on RTTY.  Just pick the O, Q, Y and J
> callsigns that CW contesters reject.
>
> Remember when W6NL used to be W6QHS?  That was brutal to copy
> at 40 wpm CW; I used to recognize it by lots of dots at the
> end and just assumed it was Dave.  Nowadays, you can just use
> Skimmer :-).  I was watching the RTTY contest a little on 40m
> yesterday and Dave was there sprinting away.

Turns out that was W0YK, guest-oping at Dave's QTH last night!

> As a nit, R and Y are actually not that desirable for RTTY
> call signs if there is a lot of multipath and hence
> mark-space overlaps.  It is better to choose Baudot letters
> with fewer bit transitions.  The reason why RYRY is used for
> testing is that there are maximal bit transition.  They are
> characters that often are the first to misprint.
>
> Now, if you think some Varicode mode is going to take over
> contesting one day, start switching your calls to ones with
> e, o and t :-) :-)
>
> 73
> Chen, W7AY

I just LOVE Chen's posts!  About time I think I'm understanding something
pretty well, another mini-tutorial arrives on the reflector that enriches
the topic further.

73,
Ed - W0YK