[RTTY] Cannot get sound card to work with any digital apps

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: [RTTY] Cannot get sound card to work with any digital apps
From: w6sa@cox.net
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2009 14:36:15 -0500 (EST)
I shot myself in the foot!  Should have left well enough alone.  It
would have been cheaper too.

Does anyone have experience with 64 bit Vista Home Premium and running
Writelog, MMTTY, & Digipan
successfully?  Can't get soundcard recognized by anything on the new
box.

The old computer was just getting too bogged down and it was time to
Upgrade to something a bit more
modern.  Everything else was starting to hang up and take forever to do
anything.   All my ham radio apps were
running fine and it seemed to be a good idea at the time.

I just purchased a new computer running Vista Home Premium 64 bit
version and cannot get any of my digital
software to recognize the soundcard.   Details below.  Got it locally
for less than TigerDirect was asking.

HP Pavilion Elite m9500f Desktop PC - AMD Phenom 9750 2.4GHz, 8GB DDR2,
750 Gb SATA 3G, DVDRW DL
Lightscribe, Vista Home Premium 64 FQ562AA#ABA at TigerDirect.com

Sound/Audio
High Definition 8-channel audio
ALC 888S chipset

Using Writelog, MMTTY with and without Plugin, and Digipan.

MMTTY gives message - Can't open sound card -1.  Changing it to 0 makes
no difference.  Old computer had it
set to 0.

Digipan gives message - Sound card is already in use or does not exist.

I have set Windows Sounds to "No Sounds" and it has not made any
difference.  No idea what else could be
grabbing the sound card, or if it is an incompatability with the sound
card.  It only registers a 47 on the
SoundCheck test, which is pretty bad.  It does say I can use it for
Writelog.  Most of the controls it is looking for
don't exist and it fails for recording, totally.  Really not concerned
with recording.

I only had 2 PCIe X1 slots free and they are both in use for an added 4
port serial card.  If I can't use this card
then I have to consider losing 2 ports to install a different sound
card.  I need 3 ports but I guess I could work
around it.  Sound is built into the motherboard.

I am also considering an external USB sound card, if I can find one that
will work with my system, as an option.
No idea how to determine the Soundcheck rating on that until I have one.
Too late then.

Any suggestions on how to resolve the issue using my existing sound
capability, or what PCIe X1 card would be
good for Digital modes, or what USB card would be a good choice would be
greatly appreciated.

I had no issues with setting up my laptop which runs Vista 32 bit,
although I have never actually used it on the
air.  It diddles
and appears as if it would work for Digipan also.  Could this be an
issue with the 64 bit O/S or perhaps the new
card is not able to respond to a lower bit rate request from the digital
apps?

It's all very frustrating and my brain hurts.  ;-)

I will be posting this wherever I can in hopes of finding a solution.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Walt,  W6SA