[RTTY] Why I Quit the CQ WPX RTTY Contest

To: RTTY Reflector <rtty@contesting.com>, CTDXCC List <ctdxcc@kkn.net>
Subject: [RTTY] Why I Quit the CQ WPX RTTY Contest
From: Dick Kriss <aa5vu@arrl.net>
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2009 14:55:38 -0600
I quit the CQ WPX RTTY contest because I got frustrated
and my time was better spent working two new DX stations.

Part of the frustration came from having to run low power
in S&P mode due to QRM to our Sony HDTV's remote.  No
TVI but anything over 100 watts gets into the IR remote
and starts doing weird things to the TV channels.  I have
self imposed low power operation during prime time TV.

The other source of frustration came from several skilled
operators.  I say skilled because their QSO numbers seemed
to be 2x others received.  I would respond to their CQ and
they would reply with a report that was not directed to a
specific call sign.  Since I was not sure if the report was for
me or some other calling station, I would send my call again.
This seemed to force the CQ station to send a normal report
with my call or one of the other station calls.

I suspect these operators are just trying to be sneaky to
grab the first call that responds.  I must be the only person
that considers this a poor operating procedure because
several were doing it.  In my opinion, it is rude and results
in confusion and repeats.

For CQ stations.... please use the normal contest exchange.

I got tired of non specific reports and used the OFF button.

73 Dick AA5VU
Triple Play #122