Re: [RTTY] USB to Serial Convertors

To: Richard Ferch <ve3iay@storm.ca>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] USB to Serial Convertors
From: Andrei Stchislenok <asnp3d@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Aug 2009 10:08:45 -0400
Rich and all:

I purchased this dual port converter and another one (dont remember the
brand) just accidentally.
"Another one" did not work, but this Dual port converter worked as soon as I
installed its drivers. I have been using this converter since then. I am
using Writelg and MMTTY, good combination for me.

Tried different programs, they work too...

The reason why I bought it, was that I have laptop with one Serial port, so
I needed another comm port.

It works for me. I used it from home, YN2S location twice, from HQ4R and
others, so far so good...

Belkin is OK too, but too big, (hi) and have just one comm port...

2009/8/1 Richard Ferch <ve3iay@storm.ca>

> Andrei,
>
> Does this work for FSK from MMTTY *without* using EXTFSK?
>
> As far as I am aware, basically any USB-to-serial adapter will work with
> EXTFSK - there's nothing remarkable about that. It's using them directly
> without the help of EXTFSK that is the problem.
>
> The reason I ask is that according to the specifications at the link you
> gave, the minimum speed of this one is 300 baud.
>
> The same question applies to the Digi Edgeport multi-port devices. I
> don't see a minimum speed mentioned in the specifications at the Digi
> web site, but the maximum speed mentioned is high enough to raise
> concerns. The reason most USB adapters don't work at low speeds, as I
> understand it, is that there is a limit to the dynamic range of speeds
> they will support, and in order to support very high speeds (230 kbps
> and up) they give up support for very low speeds. In addition, they may
> also give up support for 5-bit word lengths, since very high-speed
> applications probably use only 8-bit words.
>
> 73,
> Rich VE3KI
>

> Andrei Stchislenok wrote:
>
> > I have been using this one for last four years - no problem...
> >
> > Dual Port USB to Serial RS-232 DB-9 Adapter Cable FTDI Chip $39.98
> >

> http://www.usbgear.com/computer_cable_details.cfm?sku=XC-232-C&cats=199&catid=626%2C106%2C199%2C465

73's Andrei
EW1AR-NP3D