[RTTY] FW: [icom7600] RTTY performance

To: "RTTY Reflector" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] FW: [icom7600] RTTY performance
From: "Jim N7US" <n7us@arrl.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2009 08:56:13 -0500
Forwarded from the IC-7600 reflector.

Jim N7US

-----Original Message-----
From: Jay Bromley [mailto:jayw5jay@cox.net]
Sent: Friday, August 14, 2009 00:42
To: icom7600@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [icom7600] RTTY performance

Hi Rudy,
I had a lot of the Icoms Pro 2, Pro 3, 7600, and main rig here is now the
7700 and all of them are super A-OK on RTTY TPF.

I have conversed with Salvo via email and the language barrier is hard at
times.  To be honest I don't know what he is fighting.  Having read his
current post I get the impression he is using the Pro 3's TPF menu and going

into it to set the Bandwidth control.  If I remember right TPF has it's own
menu in the Pro 3.  However you can sill do that with the later rigs like
the 7600 and 7700, just press and hold the filter button down.  Now you have

3 filters you can adjust instead of only one like in the Pro 3.  I hope I am

remembering this right (I have sold the Pro 3 when I got the 7700).  Now all

three filters work both with and without the Twin Peak Filter.  The are all
adjustable from 50 hz to 2.7 KHz with TPF on or off, I am not sure if you
could really use the filter narrower than 250 hz on RTTY so I am sure going
towards 50 hz at some point would not be good.

I don't mean to put words in Salvo's mouth here.  I can't figure out what he

is fighting.  Maybe it is the convenience of the TPF menu and I also think
you could only go down to 250 hz in the Pro 3's TPF menu so there would be
no fighting a 50 hz filter in the RTTY mode.  However I think the new way
makes more sense and less confusing to the masses.  I wish I could see in
person what he is not liking.  I am sure he has a problem, I just can't
figure out the language barrier.

However using all said rigs in a contest, the later versions like the 7600
and the 7700 are much better for me.  All of the Icoms are excellent rigs
for RTTY and the TPF continues to amaze me.  I am not going back to the Pro
3, although it is indeed an excellent RTTY rig!  The TPF on the newer rigs
works great, but you need to be sure to compare apples to apples here.  If
you are using TPF on the Pro 3 and have it set to 250 hz you need to set the

7600 up to 250 hz as well.  If you set it up to 2.7 KHz sure the performance

is not going to be there when comparing it to anothers 250 hz filter.
However when hunting stations it is nice to use the 2.7 KHz filter with the
TPF off.  Very hard to find stations tuning with TPF on, this might be what
is bugging Salvo?

So far I haven't see any one that likes the Pro 3 on RTTY, not like the
receivers in the 7600 and the 7700 more.

73 de w5jay/jay..