[RTTY] Sound Cards and Software

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] Sound Cards and Software
From: "Bill Gaines AD8P" <ad8p@wcoil.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2009 14:27:27 -0400
I am somewhat new at digital RTTY operating. I seem to long for the oil
smelling model 28 and 32 I used to have. However I have voluntarily come to the
21st century and have some questions about what to use.

Currently I use an Orion transceiver in FSK mode, Micro Keyer interface, MMTTY
for general use and N1MM with MMTTY imbedded for contesting. When tuning I
always use the elliptical crosses simply because that is how I learned to do it
40 years ago. However, on and around those crosses I see lots of what I would
call noise. Interference of some sort. The elliptical crosses are always much
brighter and very easy to see unless the station is pretty weak. Would other
software or a different sound card make receiving a weak station better? I am
not asking for your opinions on what would operate easier etc because by now
teaching this old dog a new trick will be pretty darn hard to do. Just simply,
will a better/different sound card or software make me able to hear the weaker
ones better?

TIA everyone,

Bill AD8P