Re: [RTTY] MMTTY macro setup question

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] MMTTY macro setup question
From: Richard Ferch <ve3iay@storm.ca>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 14:33:14 -0400
RY is a relic from hardware teleprinter times, as Iain has pointed out.
It might be useful for some kinds of spectral purity tests, as it sends
the closest possible RTTY approximation to a square wave (successive
mark and space bits).

The EE button in MMTTY is programmed by default with [__~~__~\ . Looking
in the Help file for the explanation of these macro codes, you can work
out that it was intended to send two short bursts of mark tone in AFSK
mode, i.e. to simulate a CW "dit dit" or "E E". On my system the two
bursts come out with different lengths, though, which kind of spoils the
effect. After some experimenting, [~__~~~__~\ sounds better to me, not
that I can imagine ever actually using this on the air.

The EE button won't work in FSK, so it's only useful, if at all, to AFSK
users. Based on some of the questions that I see on various reflectors,
I would guess that quite a few RTTY operators don't listen to the audio
signal, so they wouldn't hear this anyway. Programming this button to
send DIT DIT would likely be a much more effective way to convey the
same sentiment.

73,
Rich VE3KI