Re: [RTTY] Beating A Dead Horse

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Beating A Dead Horse
From: Jay <ws7i@ewarg.org>
Date: Sun, 01 Nov 2009 09:04:15 -0800
>Start a 160 meter RTTY contest and they will come. The newcomers will then
operate 160 meters when there are no contests and the band will come back to
life.

Your argument here is superceeded by your other argument.

 >[160] is an empty wasteland, mainly due to many hams becoming SK's
and/or moving into assisted living facilities.

160 takes large antenna's which is why there is limited activity.
Newcomers don't have large antennas.

The band simply isn't coming back to life. Its much like keyboard RTTY
this is a thing of the past.  Now all activity that isn't DXing and
Contesting is pretty much done on PSK31.

 >The propagation argument put forth as a reason to not have RTTY
contests on160 meters does not hold water.

Its not now nor has ever been propagation but it is now and always will
be a problem of demodulators.  This is the reason to form a separate
contest, but it is also the reason not to add it to the existing
contests that don't have it as John pointed out among others.

I like your point of during the week maybe this should be a Wednesday
night contest.

[This E-mail scanned for viruses by ClamAV]