Re: [RTTY] Don and Charles

To: 'FireBrick' <w9ol@billnjudy.com>, 'RTTY List' <rtty@contesting.com>, Junior <charlesw_anderso@bellsouth.net>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Don and Charles
From: DONALD A HILL <aa5au@bellsouth.net>
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2009 11:51:51 -0800 (PST)
I'm not home so can't listen for them now, but last night just past sunset here
they were spotted on 40M RTTY.  I turned the dipole toward them but never heard
them.  They then spotted themselves on 14085 RTTY.  I listened there but the
band was dead and relayed that to them via the cluster.  I also asked them to
try 10138.  They then spotted themselves on 10140 but they were terribly weak.
I called them up 2 and they came right back to me but the copy was not good.  I
then realized that I worked them off the end of my 30M rotatable dipole which
is 90 degrees offset from my 40M rotatable dipole.  When I turned the antenna
90 degrees they were nearly perfect copy.  Saw a W3 station get through but I
had to go to dinner so didn't stay.  I spotted them on the cluster but was so
excited to have worked them that I screwed up the first two spots!

I remember when I worked VK9X on RTTY for the first time.  I believe it was the
very first JARTS RTTY contest in 1992 on 40 meters.  About 4 a.m. I came across
this huge JA pileup on the lower end of 40 meters and eventually determined it
was a VK9X station.  With it being an all-time new one for me on RTTY I pumped
up my ol' Heathkit SB-200 to 300 watts and jumped in the pileup with my
groundmounted HF6VX vertical.  To my surprise, he came back to me on the first
call!  I'll never forget it.

Even though my 30M RTTY contact last night was just for a new band country, I
was very excited.  VK9X is a LONG way from here!  I guess we never get tired of
working DX!

73 & GL,
Don AA5AU