Re: [RTTY] Dashes in Contest Reports

To: RTTY Reflector <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Dashes in Contest Reports
From: "Bill, W6WRT" <dezrat1242@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 16:12:11 -0800
ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

On Tue, 26 Jan 2010 14:09:18 -0800, Kok Chen <chen@mac.com> wrote:

>If you send an exchange twice, such repetition forms an error *detection*
>scheme.  I.e., if you receive two responses that are different, you know there
>is an error and can ask for a repeat.

REPLY:

Chen is going with the theoretical and  ignoring what really happens
in a contest.

If you know the exchange is a serial number and you receive

TOO QWE 123

Do you really need a repeat? Your brain has done its own error
detecting, because it knows what should be coming and recognizes it.

On the other hand, if you receive TOOAQWEAQWE, what is the serial
number? True, a really experienced operator can pull it out mentally,
but lots of newer contesters can not, and a request for a repeat will
surely follow.

USOS is a clever invention. Please let it do its job by eliminating
dashes in the exchange.

73, Bill W6WRT