Re: [RTTY] High speed RTTY

To: <roger@g3ldi.co.uk>, <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] High speed RTTY
From: "Robert Chudek - K0RC" <k0rc@citlink.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 20:06:08 -0600
Hello Roger,

My brother (KD8FS) and I were trying to get traction for the HSS contest. It
ran in 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, and 2001. But a commercial sponsor could not
be found and we more-or-less threw in the towel at that point. The RTTY
contesters continued using the 45.45 baud rate, even when new contests were
introduced.

There was a lot of theory and discussion on the WF1B-RTTY reflector
regarding a speed choice for the HSS. But it was just that... theory. Our
idea was to put it on the air, limit it to 4 hours, and "see what happens".
As you stated in your message, we also decided 75 baud (100 wpm) would be a
good starting point for the event.

Long ago I participated in the transition from 850 cps shift to 170 Hz
shift. I believe the change from 45 to 75 baud could come to pass as well.
But moving the RTTY community to a new speed standard will probably be as
difficult as Microsoft moving from DOS to Windows.

There is a distinct difference in the sound of a RTTY signal, whether
850/170 shift or 45/75 speed. Most people can detect the difference between
170 and 200 Hz shifted signals on the band. (Wasn't it the PK-232 that used
200 Hz shift instead of 170?)

I do not remember the particulars of the 75 baud BARTG contests. But I would
certainly support any organization that would sponsor a "High Speed" RTTY
contest.

73 de Bob - KØRC in MN