Re: [RTTY] High Speed RTTY again

To: <g3ldi@g3ldi.co.uk>, "'rtty contesting rttycontesting'" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] High Speed RTTY again
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 11:09:07 -0500

Roger,

>   I have the Yaesu FT1000MP and the 250Hz filter is stated as
> being 250z at -6dB and 700Hz at -60dB. I also have the 500Hz
> which is again stated as being 500Hz at -6dB and 1.8kHz at
> -60dB.

Are you using the cascaded filters (both 2nd and 3rd IF) or
in the case of the "250" only one?  Yaesu's bandwidth specs
are a bit misleading since they are for both filters in
cascade.  For 500 Hz, the 2nd IF (8 MHz) filter is close to
500 Hz with the 3rd IF filter (particularly the "Collins"
version) providing additional skirt sharpening but not a
lot of narrowing  At "250 Hz" the each filter is only -3 dB
at 250 Hz wide but when cascaded the overall selectivity
becomes -6dB at 250 Hz.

> I can honestly say that I can copy 75 Baud RTTY very well
> using the 250Hz filter.

I have no doubt of that if you are using only one of the
two "250 Hz" filters since the real -6 ddB bandwidth will
be more like 350 Hz.  Even if the filters are slightly
narrow, as long as the skirts don't have excessive phase
issues the effect of a "too narrow" filter will only be
a bit more attenuation.  The problems with excessively
narrow filters will be much most obvious with multi-path
and weak signals rather than a strong signal in crowded
conditions.

> I would not advocate using any faster speeds anyway, because
> with the vagaries of propagation, especially over an auroral
> path and with QSB etc., too many characters will be lost.
> Not only that, but as someone mentioned, the difficulty comes
> with typing, unless a pre-prepared text is sent from the bottom
> window.

If operation is to transition to 75 baud, I like the idea of
combining it with a move to ASCII (e.g., 75 8N2) vs. BAUDOT
(45.45 5N1.5).  Throughput will be about 15% higher due to the
combination of higher bit rate and elimination of the LTRS/FIGS
overhead but will still be within reach of the keyboarder.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV