Re: [RTTY] Windows 7 and USB to Serial adapters

To: "rtty@contesting.com" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Windows 7 and USB to Serial adapters
From: David Levine <david@levinecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 22:53:26 -0500
I'm looking to get a new computer and it might be a laptop which means no
serial ports and I can't put in a serial card. I have a Kenwood TS-2000 so 1
serial connection is for rig control and I have another serial connection
which goes to a FSK/CW circuit like the one at
http://www.aa5au.com/rttyinterface.html and the other end of that cable goes
to the ACC2 port on the back of the TS-2000 for FSK and to the Key port for
sending CW typically via N1MM.

I'd imagine almost any USB cable would support the connection for the rig
control but would the FTDI chipset support the FSK/CW such as the one shown
at http://www.aa5au.com/rttyinterface.html on a Windows 7 64 bit machine?
Anyone have specific experience with Windows 7 and a USB connection to that
circuit?

Thanks so much!
K2DSL - David