Re: [RTTY] XE Contest

To: <w0yk@msn.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] XE Contest
From: "Steve and Judy" <hodgson@cytanet.com.cy>
Date: Sun, 7 Feb 2010 10:26:44 +0200
From: "Ed Muns" <w0yk@msn.com>
To: "'Steve and Judy'" <hodgson@cytanet.com.cy>
Cc: <rtty@contesting.com>
Sent: Saturday, February 06, 2010 6:15 PM

> Steve, ZC4LI, wrote:
>> I am afraid that this contest has lost it's credibility for me.
>> If I do not very soon see what the intentions of the sponsors
>> are with regard to regaining that credibility then 2009 will
>> be my last entry.
>> Pity really as the SO1R/SO2R concept is a winner.
>>
>> A quick glance at the results shown on the FMRE website for
>> the years 06/07/08/09 shows that the scores listed are
>> exactly the same as the 3830 claimed scores for those years.
>> I may be a pretty good op !! but I am never ever going to get
>> 100% for each year that I have entered the contest.
>>
>> I rest my case.
>
> I agree, Steve.  It is unfortunate that the sponsor hasn't done more to
> support the results in recognition of the participation they do get.  On
> the
> other hand, this contest is like most and run entirely by volunteers.
> And,
> we are perhaps "spoiled" by sponsors who devote lots of time and effort to
> their contests for us, so our expectations are thusly set.
>
>> So saying I will not be entering the contest this year and
>> hope to see you in the WPX next weekend.
>
> Understand fully.  For me, though, the decision is selfish.  I enjoy
> operating and can use the practice, so I plan to be on and extract all my
> satisfaction in the event itself.  And as several have noted here, the
> FMRE
> is a great practice session for next weekend's CQ WPX RTTY.  When FMRE is
> over, I'm on to something else and won't give it another thought.  The
> 3830
> reports will be the only post contest information that is of interest.
>
>> 73 Steve  ZC4Li.
>
> Best,
> Ed - W0YK
> Ed Muns
> Muns Vineyard - www.munsvineyard.com
> FaceBook - www.facebook.com/munsvineyard
>
>Thanks for your input Ed.

I would like to say that if you decide to sponsor a contest you
should make sure at the outset that you can service it to an
acceptable standard, if you cannot do this then forget it.

The recent demise of the ANARTS Contest is a good reference,
the sponsors realised that they could not do it justice so they
did the right thing and closed it.

Most of us could set up a contest or three with a good looking
set of rules but to carry it to a succesful conclusion is a totally
different matter.

Maybe the XE ''Contest'' should be reclassified as a warm up
for the WPX.

73 Steve,  ZC4Li.