Re: [RTTY] Was Re: Re: XE contest @ 75 baud ... now Next Gen digital fro

To: RTTY Reflector <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Was Re: Re: XE contest @ 75 baud ... now Next Gen digital front end software!
From: Kok Chen <chen@mac.com>
Date: Sun, 07 Feb 2010 14:48:00 -0800
On Feb 7, 2010, at 2:15 PM, k3mm@verizon.net wrote:

> We have had CW skimmer for several years now...it's time for digital skimmer!

It is not a matter of software -- most software modems *already* have a digital
skimmer for PSK31.  It is a matter of hardware -- the rig needs to output a 50
kHz (at least 20 kHz, anyway) wide bandpass for it to be useful for RTTY.  That
restricts it use to receivers like the SoftRock and K3+LP-PAN, and the like.

Even PSK31 piles have extended more than 2.4 kHz.   But in general, the PSK31
"skimmers" are fun to use.  Most of them have a 'search" option for
highlighting CQ and such things.

> Building on that would be the transceiver version that will S&P multiple
> modes and speeds on the fly!  Hard to copy?  Downshift to a slower speed
> and/or PSK...his software will recognize and copy it automatically no matter
> what!

The problem with something like the skimmer is that once its use is widespread,
its use will be restricted by contest organizers, just like the CW skimmer was
banned.  People might be reluctant this time around to share what they have
built (would you share your stacked Yagis? :-).

73
Chen, W7AY