[RTTY] FW: An open letter to AA5AU

To: RTTY contest group <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] FW: An open letter to AA5AU
From: David VE3VID <ve3vid@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 11:13:29 -0400
From: ve3vid@hotmail.com
To: aa5au@bellsouth.net
Subject: RE: [RTTY] An open letter to AA5AU
Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 11:12:31 -0400

My biggest influences in RTTY:

1)  AA5AU  RTTY website
2)  60 minute A/V webnar on MMTTY and N1MM
3)  "RTTY Etiquette" email thread here a couple months ago
4)  Members of the RTTY Contesting community reflector

I made my first RTTY contact last October with UA3PAB.  I'm no pro
but thanks to the above list I'm making more contacts in the RTTY
contests, and working RTTY stations during casual ops.

Cheers................David

     VE3VID
Located in rural Canada
Solar power.  Wood heat.
Mosley tribander @ 22m
2element delta-quad on 40m
Lots of space for dipoles,
bears and wolves......73

http://www.ve3vid.webs.com/

> From: aa5au@bellsouth.net
> To: Marc.Chicoine@dcma.mil; rtty@contesting.com
> Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 23:33:25 -0500
> Subject: Re: [RTTY] An open letter to AA5AU
>
> Marc, thank you very much for the positive feedback and congratulations on
> your RTTY contest successes.
>
> It seems the tutorials "Getting Started on RTTY" and "WriteLog RTTY Starter"
> have helped hundreds become successful RTTY operators
> and contesters. And for this I am very proud. I have no real numbers to
> support this claim other than the fact that I receive on
> average 2-3 e-mails each day from people looking for help, advice or with
> general questions on RTTY and RTTY contesting. Since I
> wrote the tutorials some 8 years or so ago, that would be close to 800 people
> that I know of and then there are those I don't know
> of. The rtty page on aa5au.com combined with the pages on rttycontesting.com
> have compiled over a half million hits combined.
> Again, I have no real numbers because all the counters were reset some years
> ago when Yahoo dropped their Geocities branded sites.
> The rttycontesting.com home page has received 247,840 hits since the counters
> were reset a few years ago. The site is averaging
> around 12k hits a month since December '09 with a peak of nearly 15k hits in
> February 2010. I would have thought that at some time
> the site activity would level out and decline but as the popular saying goes
> "The hits keep on coming".
>
> I get a great deal of satisfaction from helping others through the websites,
> e-mail reflectors, personal e-mail and the NCJ RTTY
> Contesting column. After receiving overwhelming support from the RTTY
> community after Hurricanes Katrina and Gustav, I feel even
> more strongly of my need to "give back". I vow to continue to be an
> ambassador to our mode and radio sport.
>
> It would be OK to me if I never won another RTTY contest, but it would kill
> me if I didn't have the chance to help a fellow operator
> gain the joys of RTTY and RTTY contesting that I have felt over the past 25
> years.
>
> 73, Don AA5AU
> http://www.aa5au.com
> http://www.rttycontesting.com

30 days of prizes: Hotmail makes your day easier! Enter now