[RTTY] AA5AU - An On-Air Elmer, Too

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: [RTTY] AA5AU - An On-Air Elmer, Too
From: John Sims <N7ON@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2010 22:03:31 -0700
Congratulations to Don, AA5AU, for his induction in the CQ Contest Hall
of Fame.

Beyond his contesting achievements and website help, Don is an on-air
Elmer, too.  I once sat back and read the print as Don clearly showed
where his priorities were.  While in S & P mode during one of the major
RTTY contests, I ran across AA5AU in QSO with another station.  From the
exchange it obviously was one of the other station's first-ever RTTY
contest QSO's.  Rather than concentrate on getting the contest exchange
as quickly as possible and moving on, Don took several minutes
explaining RTTY contesting and the meaning of the exchange.  There he
was, right in the middle of one of RTTY's most prestigious contests
where every second counts, patiently teaching a new RTTY contester the
basics.

It was treat to see who placed #1 when the contest results were released
-- Don, AA5AU!

73,

John, N7ON