[RTTY] Cheating is Watched

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] Cheating is Watched
From: "K3RWN" <rwnewbould@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2010 17:49:22 -0400
As long as people are involved in competition there will be cheaters,
however at Contest University this was discussed and the log checking and
wideband recordings are helping to identify those who cheat.  Radiosport and
Golf are the same, we both call penalties on ourselves.  Those who cheat
know they cheated.  Just like Golf. I think any known cheating should be
made public, at least to the contest sponsor.  The problem is what is
cheating and what is mistakes by operators who may be new to contesting.  We
do not want to chase new comers away by calling them cheaters.  There is a
fine line.  When I first started I made mistakes mostly for a lack of
understanding of the rules.  I may have broken the rules but I was not
intentionally cheating.

SO2R and cheating have nothing in common. I get beat every contest by people
running SO1R.  In fact I have never won anything running SO2R.  If we create
a class for SO2R, do we then create a class for antenna, height, size,
quality of equipment, and so on.

How about log scrubbing?  My logs go to the contest sponsor within minutes
of the contest end time.  Others check their logs with software to find
errors.

We could go on and on about cheating.  The fact is about all we can do is
call out the bad guys and report them.

Other than that have fun in the contests and if you see me doing something
wrong let me know.

I hope to work you all when our team operates as PJ2S during the CQ WW RTTY
2010

Rich

K3RWN