Re: [RTTY] Need Help

To: rtty@contesting.com, whiter26@sbcglobal.net
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Need Help
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 11:02:01 -0400
Dick,

First, are you using RTTY (FSK) or LSB/USB/PKT (AFSK) with the
Mark V?

Are you using a "real" serial port or a USB to serial converter?

Are you using hardware PTT switching or software control (CAT) for
PTT?

Assuming you are using FSK, have you connected a breakout box
("LED" box) between the computer serial port and the RB+ to
confirm that the RTS/DTR lines are switching properly for PTT?
If you open the RB+ you should be able to see the RTS/DTR LEDs
light in PTT?

Have you disconnected the "RTTY" cable between RB+ and MK V
and connected an Ohm meter to  pins 3/4 of the 4-pin DIN plug
to confirm that they show "closed" when MMTTY/N1MM is in
transmit?  If you do not connect PTT to the RTTY jack and use
AFSK, have you connected an Ohm meter between pins 5 and 6 of
the "Foster" (mic plug) to confirm that they are "closed" when
N1MM/MMTTY is in transmit?

Simply put, you should see +12V on the RTS/DTR lines when MMTTY
is in transmit, the relay in RB+ should close and you should
see a short (contact closure) between pins 5/6 of the mic plug
or pins 3/4 or the RTTY plug depending on how you have connected
the  MK V.

Since the RB+ relay is apparently not closing when N1MM/MMTTY
switches to transmit, you need to determine if you are getting
a PTT signal on the serial port (RTS/DTR lines).

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV