[RTTY] K3 AFSK power and ALC?

To: RTTY Contesting <RTTY@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] K3 AFSK power and ALC?
From: "Stephen/Marilyn Haines" <steveandmarilynhaines@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2010 07:08:54 -0400
Wow, the big news is I have a K3 -- I bought one of Doug's (ZP6CW). Now
to get ready for the big contest! I won't have the FSK working in time,
so will be running AFSK.

The usual instructions are to advance the mike gain to JUST BEFORE there
is any ALC indication -- worked fine with my FT757. But the technical
notes for PSK on the Elecraft site say to set power level to whatever
(20-30 watts) and advance the mike gain to where "3 or 4 bars of ALC"
are indicated. This will result in a very clean signal. No special
instructions for AFSK RTTY are given.

Can a K3 user help me? Would this work (actually, it does work but I
don't know how clean the signal is): Set the power to 75 watts, fire up
a CQ macro into a dummy load, and adjust the mike gain to "3 or 4 bars"
of ALC reading?

With a little more power available I hope to go high and call CQ, for
once! See you in the test.

Steve ZP9EH