[RTTY] INRAD filter question

To: RTTY contest group <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] INRAD filter question
From: David VE3VID <ve3vid@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2010 20:40:16 -0400
Last spring I got some good info and help from RTTY hams here about loading a
set of INRAD filters into my Kenwood TS-450s.   I chose 2 x 400hz filters for
the 8.83 and 455 IF stages.  The units went into the radio slick, and the
Kenwood menu options to activate the new filters went without incident.  (INRAD
No.s 103 & 104)  Prior to this I have been able to do AFSK RTTY lots of DX,
some contests, and some fun ragchews on RTTY........so the system works (MMTTY
into a SignaLink USB)

I am trying out the filters for the first time this weekend during the CQWW
RTTY contest.  I have a problem.  If I click both filters on and tune across
the band I hear nothing.  If I leave my IF stages wide and tune a RTTY station,
as soon as I click in either of the new filters the RTTY station is gone and my
S-meter drops way down.  Its like an attenuator was suddenly clicked in,
sometimes my meter goes to S-zero, the volume out of the radio drops
significantly and MMTTY's tuning indicators go blank.

What am I missing,  what did I forget............??  Must be something, these
are popular filters.  Any help appreciated.............

David

     VE3VID          Located in rural Canada
Solar power.  Wood heat.
Mosley tribander @ 22m