Re: [RTTY] New call with no numbers

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] New call with no numbers
From: Ktfrog007@aol.com
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2010 21:10:49 -0500 (EST)
RAEM was a famous Russian ham call back in the 60s USSR.  It was from  an
Arctic explorer ship, the S/S Cheluskin.  The ship was smashed in the  ice in
1934 and Ernst Krenkel, the radio operator, became a hero in the rescue
and inherited the call as his ham call.  At the time it was the only USSR  ham
call that started with R.

I also worked a Soviet polar expedition UPOL12 in 1963.  My guess is  that
probably wasn't a legal QSO since it wasn't an amateur station.  But  what
the heck.  I've got both QSLs and they are among my  most prized ones.

73,
Kermit, AB1J or ABAJ when I'm in a real hurry.